Ok so this is the first in a possible series (no guarantees) about what it’s like to work at IBM. This is going to be a brief table of pro’s and cons (there are always cons no matter how great a company).
- Shiny new laptop (1.6Ghz 2Gb RAM Thinkpad T60p)
- Excellent IT support
- Linux IT support
- Think free friday (do you own stuff on friday afternoon)
- A group of Linux types for me to get to know via IRC
- The ability to install Linux on my Thinkpad and do all my work under Linux!!
- Flexi time so you can only work 4 days a week if you want
- No kettles :( We microwave water to make it hot for coffee and tea
- Crazy ass security!! I have 5 or 6 passwords – all 8 character alphanumeric – my head hurts
- No good map tool for the site. The site is massive and complex, my think friday project is to make this better
So there we have it – my one week assessment. As you can probably tell I’m having a great time :)