Beards and Moustaches – a facial hair quandry

A bit of hair over your top lip is called a moustache. It can even extend down vertically to your chin.

A beard is hair on your chin and the underside of your face. Interestingly it’s also a beard even if some hair covers your top lip.

The ven diagram might look something like this:

| beard | beard | moustache |

Which is a bit weird….

So, should we have a new word for the marriage of chin and/or under-face (not sure if that’s really a word) hair (aka beard) and top lip hair (aka moustache)?

What should it be?